- Helping the people of interested countries in meeting their need for trained men and women.
- Helping promote a better understanding of Americans on the part of the peoples served.
- Helping promote a better understanding of other peoples on the part of Americans.
With that in mind, I made my coworker NACHOS! His first nachos ever, in fact. We had a long conversation about why Americans call these 'chips' and why we call Ugandan 'chips' french fries. It's a confusing world. I also sent him home with a Tastykake treat (and yes, that's how they spell their company's name). I mean, what else says "America" like nachos and Tastykakes. Ha! On a serious note, we did talk a bit about American independence and some pivotal historical events that have shaped American over the last 236 years. Uganda will celebrate 50 years of independence from the British this October.
I'm off to watch a 'football' match with some of the local kiddos, then to pack for the looooong trip to Fort Portal to meet up with other PCVs to celebrate the awesomeness of America. Hope that everyone is enjoying this very special holiday with good food, friends and cold beer! Wishing all my friends well in the land of milk and honey!
No comments:
Post a Comment