Anticipated Rewards
- Slowing down- reading, cooking, being disconnected for awhile.
- Being around kids- kids are fun.
- Making a positive impact (no matter how small)- really hope this happens.
- Learning!!! Yay! About other people, microfinance, culture, food, language, development, myself, all kinds of stuff.
- Getting tough- thin skin no more.
- Feeling grateful- I know I'm a lucky girl. I know I was born to the best family in the best country. I know I take a lot of my opportunities for granted. I'd like to be more conscious of this.
- Being earthy- I want to grow some veggies and not be scared of killing bugs. Sounds simple enough.
- Gaining perspective- always a good thing.
- Being a part of people's lives that I normally wouldn't meet. Ugandans and everyone else I'll meet along the way.
- Food- yum. I get grumpy when I'm hungry. I can't imagine not having cheese and bread on a regular basis. I also really hope I don't have to kill any animals to eat, suck a fish head, or eat dried fish. Ick. Also not looking forward to giving up my newly acquired 'all you can eat' diet. It's pretty great.
- Patience- I'd like to think I have it, but in some situations I don't. I plan to work on this.
- Privacy- it's going to be tough to be 'on' all the time, not being able to blend in, and having everyone know of you, even if you don't know them. This may tie back to the patience bit.
- Cleanliness- bucket baths aren't the same as showers.
- Lack of impact- 'nuff said
- Moral dilemmas- I'm sure there'll be lots of these. I think it'll be hard to pick my battles. This is gonna be a tough one.
- Isolation- being away from my awesome friends and family is no bueno. That's why you need to send lots of letters and pictures!!! xoxo
- Health and safety- I know that getting sick is inevitable and I'm good with that. I just don't want anything that I can't fully bounce-back from : / I'll try my very best to avoid this, promise.
- Being bitter about development- no one wants to be bitter. Maybe more realistic, but hopefully not bitter.
- Being a weirdo when I come back to the US (more of a weirdo than I am now that is). I'm sure it won't take long to get used to warm showers, cold beer and grilled cheese, but it will be tough getting readjusted to the fast-paced and option-filled American lifestyle.
On that note, I think it's time for a bowl of mint chocolate chip ice cream.
Love always,
E
There's so, so much good content in this "Foreshadowing" posting that lets me know how realistic you are with this decision you've made to go ahead with acting on one of your lifes' ambitions. I, like many other people who really know you, once again applaud you for doing this. It won't be easy, but it's a life altering experience, and from what you've just posted, it confirms to me that you fully know what you're you're getting into, and I admire that you're still willing to see it through!
ReplyDeleteYou're going to have such a postive learning experience in the next two years that will impact you for the rest of your life. This experience will challenge & force you to grow into an even better person than you already are - and you're mighty fine great already!
I love you Erin!
P.S. Please keep posting on a regular basis.