The purpose of this blog is to stay connected with my friends and family while I transition from Delaware to Maryland to Uganda and beyond. I'd like to use this forum to share my experiences and record my adventures while serving as an Economic Development Volunteer in the Peace Corps.

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Shopping: Overanalyzed

Coming to SA after 2 months in Uganda was an adjustment. Being surrounded by choices is a change of pace and I'm embracing it fully (in fact I think I may still be binge eating...the excitement of cheese, ice cream and $4 bottles of wine just hasn't worn off yet). I've also been tempted to buy everything in sight... There's a nice mall within walking distance and I find myself there most days just window shopping, looking at all of the merchandise I don't need and can't afford.

I thought that by joining the Peace Corps I might be able to snuff out that materialistic, shop-because-I'm-bored, side of me. Nope, it's still there. Shopping, even just window shopping, makes me feel better. But why? I logically know that I have everything I need for life in Uganda, but I just keep on looking for something that may be useful. Is it because there's so much here that's not available in Uganda? Or just because I'm bored? Why does having something new make us feel better?  For full disclosure, outside of food and wine, I've purchased a bathing suit and a pair of shorts. I validate it because there is a pool here, and I have nothing to do all day outside of physical therapy... and my below-the-knee skirts and jeans just aren't pool-appropriate...

This morning while I was at the Peace Corps office, I read an article where the author called America a 'nation of unhappy lottery winners.' America is pretty amazing and I know I feel lucky to be an American... so why do we always need moooooore? And why is America so unhappy?

This afternoon I stumbled on the article referenced below... although I haven't read the book. And then there's the whole Occupy movement going on at home. If you could see the distribution of wealth in Uganda... and South Africa, well, it's not even. And when I think about the people living in my future village in Uganda, all the materialism and commercialism seems so silly and wasteful. The villagers certainly don't rely on having the latest clothing trends to feel fulfilled. They don't have that luxury. From what I've seen, they rely on family and religion for their happiness. And then I feel extra guilty about my shopping hobby. Are we just so spoiled that enough is never enough? Maybe I can take up a more intelligent hobby while I'm here. Ugh.

Anyway, taking a nod from the 'Occupy' movement regarding shopping this holiday season, here are a few ideas:
  • 'Upcycle' (using otherwise wasted resources to make new things) or hand make gifts (Ideas: http://toponlineengineeringdegree.com/?page_id=116)
  • Support independent sellers
  • Donate to a charitable cause
  • Don't spend beyond your means
  • Spend more time than money
For now, I'll try to resist the retail temptations until I get back to non-materialistic Northern Uganda. Maybe after 2 years I will have lost the urge to shop aimlessly. Maybe.

Why We Can’t Buy Happiness — But Try to Anyway

Shiny Objects

In 1972, the percentage of Americans who said they were “pretty happy” was about 50%. In the years since, the U.S.’s standard of living has risen dramatically, and our gross domestic product per capita has increased by 96%. That means we have more, we consume more and we can afford more. But today, what percentage of Americans say they’re “pretty happy?” Fifty percent. In a new book out Nov. 8, Shiny Objects: Why We Spend Money We Don’t Have in Search of Happiness We Can’t Buy, Marketing Professor Dr. James Roberts analyzes why we buy more, more, more but just don’t think we’re any better off. In fact, we seem to think things are even worse.
Read more: http://moneyland.time.com/2011/10/31/why-we-cant-buy-happiness-%e2%80%94-but-try-to-anyway/#ixzz1cT5BYpAD

2 comments:

  1. How proud of you I am! After spending just 2+ months in the PC, and getting reminded of what the immediate contrast of what the separtion is like between "have" & "have nots", you've come to the nuggest of the question. How do we (as a world sociey) make this more equitable? The answer is so far elusive, complex, confusing & controversial. But that doesn't mean that it can't be resolved. Each of us has the responsibility to make our own contribution. You, Erin, have contributed a whole lot more than the rest of us! Thank you for that !!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent post! Along those same lines, I love an article titled, "The tyranny of choice." It rings true to me.
    Here's the start of the article in case it sounds interesting to you....
    "Americans today choose among more options in more parts of life than has ever been possible before. To an extent, the opportunity to choose
    enhances our lives. It is only logical to think that if some choice is good, more is better; people who care about having infinite options will benefit from them, and those who do not can always just ignore the 273 versions of cereal they have never tried. Yet recent research strongly suggests that, psychologically, this assumption is wrong. Although some choice is undoubtedly better than none, more is not always better than less."

    ReplyDelete