The purpose of this blog is to stay connected with my friends and family while I transition from Delaware to Maryland to Uganda and beyond. I'd like to use this forum to share my experiences and record my adventures while serving as an Economic Development Volunteer in the Peace Corps.

Friday, December 30, 2011

I'm dreaming of a white Christmas

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! I miss you all tons! I had a nice time with friends for Christmas and will be in Pajule celebrating 'Peace Day' on New Year's Day. Hope to update the blog with some more detail but I need to log off to catch my bus home. xoxo


18/12/2011
This message brought to you by Top Ramen and Sudafed
Sometimes it’s the simple things that make all the difference. After 3 days of having no voice and glands the size of softballs, I found some generic Sudafed in my med kit and cooked up a packet of chicken-flavored ramen noodles. It was just what the doctor ordered. Still no voice, but I feel a million times better. Thank you care packages for the Top Ramen.  I love America!
The Ugandans think I’ve lost my voice because I’m getting used to the dust, but I think it’s just a virus. These African germs are no joke.
And a quick aside on that dust… it covers EVERYTHING. It’s in my ears, up my nose, in my hair, on my clothes. After traveling anywhere, I look like I got a bad spray tan. I sweep my house every day. And sometimes multiple times a day. It’s a constant battle, and I’m always on the losing end. And I hear rainy season doesn’t start until April. Womp, womp.

19/12/2011
Lazy day.  Finished a book and looked over PTU’s 2012 budget and past project documents. Went to the market and had dinner with my neighbors.

20/12/2011
Had my counterpart over for ‘tea’(which is really breakfast) and gave him his first cup of coffee ever. And it was coffee I’d purchased direct from the source in the Ruwenzori Mountains of Uganda. Just wait until he gets a taste of the Peet’s I brought over. Yum.

Introduced myself to the local police and personally got the head Sgt.’s cell number ‘just in case there’s any trouble.’  He’d like to come over to see exactly where I live ‘just in case.’

Voice is back but I still took it easy. Trying to feel better so I can travel for xmas. While reading a book in bed, a small chicken ran through my bedroom. The two little girls that live in the compound and I chased him around until he ran out the door. Oh Uganda.

No comments:

Post a Comment