The purpose of this blog is to stay connected with my friends and family while I transition from Delaware to Maryland to Uganda and beyond. I'd like to use this forum to share my experiences and record my adventures while serving as an Economic Development Volunteer in the Peace Corps.

Sunday, December 18, 2011

This week in the Jewel

11/12/2011
The wheels on the bus…
Took a ‘taxi’ which is really a minivan-type vehicle from Gulu over the weekend. It held 26 people (legal limit is 14) in addition to the mountain of luggage and goods expertly strapped to the roof. We were bumping along about 45 mins into the dusty ride when there was a bang and a rub. Seems as though the axle had bent. We pulled over near a shea tree where the patient passengers unloaded and waited in the shade. The driver and conductor got to work, promptly removing a wheel, and banging on the axle with a machete and rocks they found near the road. About an hour or so later, we were on our merry way again. Just another day in the Pearl.

13/12/2011
I spent the day visiting some of the students and guardians at home. The huts were very nice; cool and large inside. One of the students we visited said that 20 people slept inside on grass mats in her hut. She’s studying to become a primary school teacher. It was nice to start getting to know some of the families I’ll be working with over the next two years.
Feel like I’m getting sick but it could just be a result of all the dust in the air. It’s the beginning of dry season and when the wind blows, it kicks up dust all over town. Everyday I come covered in dirt… after bathing I’m a few shades lighter.  I also have to sweep my house every day to get rid of the dirt.
I’m considering hiring someone to wash my clothes… it takes me forever to do my wash and I’m not all that good at it. And I use a lot of water… which is a pain to get. Can I justify it by telling myself that I’m helping to fuel the economy here?
This weekend I’m headed back to Gulu to see the physical therapist and hope to purchase a bike while there. Then late next week I’m hoping to travel to meet up with some other PCVs for Christmas. I’ll be back in Pajule for New Year’s Eve because my organization coordinates a “Peace Day” event every year on New Year’s Day.  There’ll be a parade, a few performances, some football games, community service events and no doubt lots of speeches.

15/12/2011
Washed clothes, dishes, floors and myself this am, and it took ALL morning. Went to the office for a bit and went to the vocational school for a tour. The tailoring teacher agreed to start collecting the fabric scraps so that I can hopefully make something useful and/or marketable out of them. My throat still hurts something fierce. Hope it gets better soon… and on its own. Would like to avoid a trip all the way to Kampala to medical for a stupid sore throat.  Hope those prenatal vitamins will kick in and save me soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment