The purpose of this blog is to stay connected with my friends and family while I transition from Delaware to Maryland to Uganda and beyond. I'd like to use this forum to share my experiences and record my adventures while serving as an Economic Development Volunteer in the Peace Corps.

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

How does your garden grow...

I know that I post a lot about the garden, but I'm still super excited about it. I think I found a new hobby. With more regular rain, everything has taken off. I was eating lettuce, kale and collards every day before I went out of town, and the trend will continue now that I'm back. Last night we had kale leaves stuffed with rice, raisins and spices topped with a tomato sauce. Yum!!!
The squash has started to bloom and the cucumber plants seem to be doing well. My tomatoes plants are still teeny, but hopefully they'll get there. Hope I can keep the lettuce going so that I'll have cucumbers and tomatoes to go with it!
A special thanks to Mary Traille for the wonderful greens and seeds- I've been sharing with the locals too! I can't wait until they see the striped and purple tomatoes! And dad, I have your 'Box Car Willy' tomatoes started. It'll be fun to eat one of your backyard tomatoes here!
Italian lettuce on left, quail spinach in back and heirloom bib lettuce on right, surrounded in front by a border of not-yet-bloomed marigolds

Georgia collard greens, Italian and Ethiopian kale... and a few small tomato plants

Two small pineapple plants (it'll be a while before they produce) with an unidentified Ugandan vine and a loofah vine (the lighter green veiny one is the loofah vine). Loofah vines produce pods that you can unwrap to discover great loofahs for bathing.
A passion fruit vine. It'll take quite some time before it starts producing fruit.

Radishes in front, followed by basil, tomatoes, cucumber and squash. On the far side is a watermelon plant and more kale and collards.

Squash blossoms and the beginning of a squash.

1 comment:

  1. Great garden shots! Yours is 10x s better than mine!

    ReplyDelete