So, I've had a jar of Nutella that I bought in Gulu that's been calling my name more than usual these last few days. Since I'm trying to 'reduce my size' as they'd say in Uganda, I decided to gift it to a local lady I know that loves sweets. I took it over with some 'biscuits' (aka cookies) and she went to town.
While I was there, the piggery assistant came over to find me. We offered him some nutella and biscuits and he declined. I continued to probe him as to why he'd pass up free chocolate. For anyone that's not familiar with Nutella, it's a chocolate and hazelnut spread that is delicious on anything. Anyway, we discovered that this man had never had chocolate. Let me repeat, NEVER HAD CHOCOLATE.
He declared that it looked like 'bike lubricant' and questioned why anyone would eat such a greasy thing. Well, after a few minutes, we convinced him to smell it... then taste it. And he LOVED IT.
Not sure if it's a good thing or not (especially since there's no chocolate in my town), but if I do nothing else while I'm in Uganda, at least I know I've introduced chocolate to a man who would never have tasted it otherwise.
No comments:
Post a Comment