Not much to report from Pajule. I made it back from Kampala last week with a new computer and have been enjoying the quiet respite of village life. Unfortunately, internet has been shoddy at best since I got back, so I haven't done much 'work,' but with only 2 weeks left at site, I'm enjoying spending time with my friends here and wrapping up things with the house.
Unfortunately, I came back to a clogged latrine (yet to be fixed) and a rat living in my dresser. I also had planned to travel to the bank in Kitgum today, but the road was flooded on account of the rain. Better luck tomorrow.C'est la vie. At least the power is back on and I *might* have enough internet to load this post.
I have less than a month left in country, which is CRAZY! I'm starting to appreciate the mundane more and more. Today, I started writing goodbye cards to some of the people in my town with my morning coffee. Then I washed some clothes and the dishes. I had a few visitors and we chatted over vanilla tea on the porch. Then my hearing impaired friend came over for my daily Ugandan sign language lesson. I made jello pudding with powdered milk, and it never solidified. I ate it all anyway. Someone came over to bring me some of the 'nice' eggplant from the market. I watched a new episode of Modern Family on the computer while I heated water for my evening bucket bath under the stars. It was almost cold tonight.... on account of all the rain, I guess. I had some cabbage and eggplant for dinner and am now *trying* to check my email and while I wait (sooooo slow!!!), I thought I'd update the blog. A relaxing Thursday overall... it sure is nice having such a flexible work schedule! :)
I don't have any big plans for the next two weeks. I have lots of work to finish up, paperwork for Peace Corps to do, and lots of goodbyes to say. I think there may also be a party in the works... hope we don't slaughter another pig. I'll need to make one (or maybe two) more trips to Kitgum (have skirts being made that I need to pick up) and one last trip to Gulu to wrap things up on my way to Kampala. I think my counterpart, Denis, wants to escort me to Kampala... which is really sweet. It'll also be nice to have someone there to help me basically hitchhike out of my town with all my luggage, followed by a 8 hour bus ride on public transport. Not looking forward to that.
I'm planning on going to Sipi Falls and then Jinja with some friends before heading out. Hope I'll be able to post pics- Sipi looks like a beautiful place. I plan on reselling this computer (that I just bought) to a friend's friend up here in the north, so I won't have computer access after Sept. 7 or so. But, I'll be stateside soon enough! Can't wait to catch up with everyone!!!
Time for bed- signing off from under my mosquito net. Wu butu maber!
Unfortunately, I came back to a clogged latrine (yet to be fixed) and a rat living in my dresser. I also had planned to travel to the bank in Kitgum today, but the road was flooded on account of the rain. Better luck tomorrow.C'est la vie. At least the power is back on and I *might* have enough internet to load this post.
I have less than a month left in country, which is CRAZY! I'm starting to appreciate the mundane more and more. Today, I started writing goodbye cards to some of the people in my town with my morning coffee. Then I washed some clothes and the dishes. I had a few visitors and we chatted over vanilla tea on the porch. Then my hearing impaired friend came over for my daily Ugandan sign language lesson. I made jello pudding with powdered milk, and it never solidified. I ate it all anyway. Someone came over to bring me some of the 'nice' eggplant from the market. I watched a new episode of Modern Family on the computer while I heated water for my evening bucket bath under the stars. It was almost cold tonight.... on account of all the rain, I guess. I had some cabbage and eggplant for dinner and am now *trying* to check my email and while I wait (sooooo slow!!!), I thought I'd update the blog. A relaxing Thursday overall... it sure is nice having such a flexible work schedule! :)
I don't have any big plans for the next two weeks. I have lots of work to finish up, paperwork for Peace Corps to do, and lots of goodbyes to say. I think there may also be a party in the works... hope we don't slaughter another pig. I'll need to make one (or maybe two) more trips to Kitgum (have skirts being made that I need to pick up) and one last trip to Gulu to wrap things up on my way to Kampala. I think my counterpart, Denis, wants to escort me to Kampala... which is really sweet. It'll also be nice to have someone there to help me basically hitchhike out of my town with all my luggage, followed by a 8 hour bus ride on public transport. Not looking forward to that.
I'm planning on going to Sipi Falls and then Jinja with some friends before heading out. Hope I'll be able to post pics- Sipi looks like a beautiful place. I plan on reselling this computer (that I just bought) to a friend's friend up here in the north, so I won't have computer access after Sept. 7 or so. But, I'll be stateside soon enough! Can't wait to catch up with everyone!!!
Time for bed- signing off from under my mosquito net. Wu butu maber!
No comments:
Post a Comment