The purpose of this blog is to stay connected with my friends and family while I transition from Delaware to Maryland to Uganda and beyond. I'd like to use this forum to share my experiences and record my adventures while serving as an Economic Development Volunteer in the Peace Corps.

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

The road to Gulu

We didn't have power from Friday until just a few minutes ago (Tuesday night), so I decided yesterday that it was a good opportunity to travel to Gulu to finish the work I needed to do here (they have a multitude of generators). It took me almost 5 hours instead of the usual 2.5 due to the condition of the muddy roads. I plan to travel back tomorrow morning, and have my fingers crossed that it doesn't rain tonight.

We got stuck in this mud and had to walk around the tractor trailer through said mud while the vehicle got pushed/spun through.


A little further down the road, the car in front of us braked too hard and hit a big rut, causing it to become airborne and land on its roof. We all got out of our car to help, and all 5 of the passengers crawled out of the broken windows to safety. They were ALL FINE. Not a scratch. And they weren't shaking, crying or anything- just super bummed about the car. Ugandans sure are tough. I was shaking for them... and SO relieved that they were okay.



No comments:

Post a Comment