The purpose of this blog is to stay connected with my friends and family while I transition from Delaware to Maryland to Uganda and beyond. I'd like to use this forum to share my experiences and record my adventures while serving as an Economic Development Volunteer in the Peace Corps.

Sunday, September 4, 2011

PICS!

My super great friend Andrew let me borrow his modem for the evening, so I'm attempting to upload some pics. I haven't taken many out in the community yet, but I'll try to get some posted in the next few weeks. I'd like to be able to show you all of the great kiddos that live on my hill, and my super cool host family too of course. More to come I hope! I hope everyone is doing well- I think about you all guys all the time! Thank you Kim and Mama for the cards/care packages! Super exciting and helpful! If anyone is dying to send packages (hint, hint) feel free! Padded envelopes work best (get here fastest). Hand sanitizer, perfume (anything that smells good actually... there's a shortage of good smells here) magazines or candy... or anything fun would be awesome! Also, if anyone has heritage/heirloom seeds for veggies that will grow in a tropical climate (tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, lettuce, beans, etc) that would be fantastic. The seeds here are of low quality and aren't cheap. Anyway, on with the pics...

The orphanage petri dish where we stayed for the first week or so..

My new digs. Running water but no electricity.  Its a big upgrade.


On our way to the pool
Lake Victoria in the background

My Acholi language teachers, Moses and Jean

7 comments:

  1. YAY pictures!!! Thanks for posting them! You look beautiful & it's fun to see your friends, room, and road to the pool. Keep the posts coming! I love you so much! I'll work on another care package. I hope you the one that I sent comes soon....although it did not contain hand sanitizer or seeds. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS - I did not see Lake Victoria in that picture

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey "Bugger!" WE all LOVE YOU!!!!!, and admire you for what you're doing. Thanks so, so much for the blog update & picts.
    Why the request for "heirloom" seeds? Why not "Burpee Big Boy," or "Burpee Early Girl?" types? We can send all sorts of seeds, but non-heirlooms are more disease resistant & easier to get ahold of.
    Please keep the updates coming! Loved the pictures!
    But not nearly as much as I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay I am glad you posted some pics! We miss you Erin! I can't wait to see pics of you with the kiddos :) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sweetie, so glad to hear you are doing well. We are all so in awe of all that you are undertaking. I can't believe that it has already been a month since you left. We miss you and you are in our thoughts always. Love reading about and seeing what you are experiencing. Much love, Debby

    ReplyDelete
  6. For those of you following this blog & thinking about sending care packages. Even though Erin is requesting you send seeds, be careful. I did some research on sending seeds to Uganda, and it appears they're outlawed by the customs authority. It looks like your whole package will be confiscated if any seeds or plants are detected in your shipment. Just wanted to let you know.

    ReplyDelete
  7. For those of you following this closely: I spoke with Erin at length today upon her return from her orientation visit to her assignment site in Pajule. Some highlights worthy of note:

    The "orphanage" she'll be working at isn't really a traditional orphanage, but instead a re-entry community for those people exiting the displacement camps as a result of the 23 yr long civil war (with lots of little children to be attended to) This area was one of the most violent areas experienced by the long war;
    The Ugandan religious supervisors of the site (Fathers Anthony, Charles, & Nancio) seem very nice ("supernice" accordoing to her description) & underrstanding;
    She'll probabaly have electricity in her room, but no water. The closest bore hole (well) has gone dry, so it's a going to be a good trip to the nearest water. There will be a pit latrine for her, but it wasn't ready for her to see until "it was fixed up."
    Where she's located is up north & it's HOT! The abundant food products down south in Uganda don't seem to be available in the North.
    Her first impressions of the nearest town (Pajule) is like it's something from the old US Wild West that was abandoned;
    She's one of the most northern & isolated PC volunteers in her group. There's an 'older' married couple assigned to a town a couple of hours away;
    She mentioned a "couterpart"in her area referred to as Denis, & he is connected to an NGO called "Peace Together in Pugale" or something close to that. You might want to google it to get a better idea of the conditions where Erin will be stationed and her conditions.

    ReplyDelete