It was super,
super, super sad to say goodbye to the family, but totally worth the tears to
hug and catch up with them while in Prague. What a wonderful vacation. Hope we can do it again sometime :)
I flew in
yesterday morning to Entebbe, and it was rough. I was tired, hot and dehydrated…
took a cab from the airport back to Kampala to shower, sleep and readjust.
Central Uganda is green and lush, just entering the rainy season. It’s humid,
but not as hot as I thought it would be at about 83 degrees. During the 1 ½ hour
ride from the airport, my taxi driver insisted that we talk about my marital
status, why I wasn’t married (he concluded that I was too picky and should find
a husband as soon as possible), what I thought about married men having affairs
(prompted by the radio program we were listening to), and how long people
should date before the get married. Not exactly the conversation I’d like to
have after a long day of traveling, but he was nice enough and it made the ride
go by quickly.
When I got
to the hostel, I went out for some airtime, gnuts and water, took a shower and
a nice long nap. I woke up semi-depressed and called a few of my friends in
Uganda. My counterpart’s wife was cleaning my house when I called her to say
hello. Now that’s a good friend! It’ll be great to come back to a dust-free
house! Luckily I have some gifts from CZ for her… a veggie peeler, oven mitt, a
shirt, some sweets and some clothes for her baby. It was nice to talk to a few
people from my village; it makes me more excited to get back. The suitcase full
of yummy treats I’m bringing back will help too.
Last night I
had a mango (purchased from a tray on a lady’s head on the street) and some
chocolate chip cookies (courtesy of my wonderful sister) for dinner. Oh, and
some gnuts (peanuts). Not a bad start to reintegration.
Sweet Erin!
ReplyDeletePlease ease back into Ugandan culture slowly, which I think you're already doing, which is good! Now start focusing on what your next project is going to be once you get settled back home into your village. There's still so much to be done where you live, but I don't need to remind you that do I? We're ALL in admiration of what you've taken on! Carry on & be creative!!!
LOVE YOU !!!!!!!!