The purpose of this blog is to stay connected with my friends and family while I transition from Delaware to Maryland to Uganda and beyond. I'd like to use this forum to share my experiences and record my adventures while serving as an Economic Development Volunteer in the Peace Corps.

Friday, December 14, 2012

Bugs

Tonight's bucket bath started out like any other... I had my trusty lantern, my big orange bucket full of warm water (one kettle of boiling water added to room-temp jerrycan water) and all my toiletries in tow. I surveyed the bathing area (a papyrus mat enclosure with a gravel floor) for any lurking creatures and saw none. I happily hung the lantern on the nail, humming to myself, and just as I started to wet my hair I heard a hiss and a fast clicking... perhaps the sound of fluttering wings??? Eeeek. Not a welcome noise when you're stark naked outside in the dark in a remote village in Uganda, home to black and green mambas, spitting cobras and poisonous lizards. That is not the way I want to go out.

And it wasn't. Turns out, it was just a... well, I don't really know what it was. An over-sized praying mantis I guess... it was probably eight or so inches long, and I wish I were exaggerating. It's body was a lot fatter than a normal praying mantis. As I said, it was dark so I didn't get a good look at it in detail and I didn't want to get too close. Needless to say, I decided to put off washing my hair until tomorrow and after a quick splash, I returned to the safety of my room with half a bucket of water leftover. I considered going back out to take it's picture, but I don't want to press my luck.

On an unrelated note, if anyone reading this is thinking about sending anything my way... could you please throw in some packaged tuna/chicken, parmesan cheese and/or reece's pieces? For whatever reason, I've been craving reece's pieces for a year or so. Thanks guys! And thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. That was probably an African Peeping Mantis, perverted cousin of the religious Praying Mantis. Many families have to deal with situations like this.

    ReplyDelete