The purpose of this blog is to stay connected with my friends and family while I transition from Delaware to Maryland to Uganda and beyond. I'd like to use this forum to share my experiences and record my adventures while serving as an Economic Development Volunteer in the Peace Corps.

Friday, April 5, 2013

Sleepless in Uganda

Due to the combination of an awesome rain/lightening storm mixed with mefloquine (crazy malaria med), I can't sleep. The sound of the rain on the tin roof is deafening... and mixed with the bright flashes across the sky, it's hard to ignore. It sounds like a TV set on a staticy station full blast, combined with an amplified stomach rumbling during its first days in Uganda. My plastic chairs even blew off the porch. My garden will be happy.

One thing I will certainly miss about this place is the great lightning shows. It flashes frequently, illuminating everything as far as the eye can see and takes up the entire sky... which happens to be huge. I've never seen anything like it. Pretty good show, Uganda.

One thing I won't miss is the nightly ritual of slapping mosquitoes before I go to bed. On my first attempt at sleep, I killed 3. Upon awaking a few minutes ago, I've clapped 6 more. Wish I were exaggerating. And I'm under my net, which has been tucked into my mattress the entire time. Not a good look- especially during malaria prevention month. I guess it's time to sew up the small holes that the rats ate in my net.

If I never have to repeat that last sentence again, I'll be a happy girl. Funny how 20 months away can give you a whole new outlook. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment