The purpose of this blog is to stay connected with my friends and family while I transition from Delaware to Maryland to Uganda and beyond. I'd like to use this forum to share my experiences and record my adventures while serving as an Economic Development Volunteer in the Peace Corps.

Sunday, January 15, 2012

Internet Tree No More

Hallelujah!!!!!!! You are witnessing a critical turning point in my life. Well, I guess that's a bit dramatic, but I am over the moon with excitement.
But first, some background...
Previously, I took a 10 min walk to enter the residence of the parish priests, and sat in a very specific spot under a big mango tree for internet. And when I say internet, I mean waiting 10 mins for the browser to load, another 10 to get to gmail, another 10 to send an email, if I wasn't disconnected in the meantime... you get the picture. It was not convenient or conducive to actually using the internet. Today, the days of travelling to a far-away town in such of a fast internet connection are over. I'm sitting on my front stoop, checking my email as we speak. It's a miracle.
When in Gulu over the weekend, I bought a bootleg modem with only a glimmer of hope that it would work. It's supposed to come with 5GB for the first month, but the workers were unable to prove this to me due to the 'system being down.' I bought it in good faith, along with the boss's cell number and a detailed receipt, so we'll see how long it lasts before I have to reload it.
Sooooooooooooo excited!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Welcome back to cyberworld! We all share your excitement with being able to relate your experiences & status more frequently. We worry about you when we don't hear from your daily updates! Love you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay I love reading your blog!!! Its fun to see my name in it :) tell your friend Janet I say hello and take care of you. You rock! xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete