I had my eyes closed to avoid the dust when there was a bump. As I looked out the window, a black shape jumped up to meet me at eye level and then bounced off into the bush. There was smoke and a smell… and as we slowed down and regained control of the car, I could hear the sound of grinding metal. I quickly jumped out and realized the wheel, along with part of the axel had rolled off into the field, leaving black goo dripping out of where the tire should be. The driver had popped the hood and I couldn’t help but notice that the liquid in the engine coolant container was at a roaring boil. When the driver retrieved the tire, the rod and tire were smoking profusely. I’m no mechanic, and I don’t know what went wrong, but I knew we weren’t going anywhere anytime soon.
I must be getting used to Uganda because this little episode didn’t really phase me or make me worried. This is my 3rd flat tire episode since I’ve been here. I sat down in the dirt on the side of the road and waited. No village in sight, and about 20 km to Pajule. Eventually, a few vehicles passed, but all going in the wrong direction. Finally, a matatu passed that allowed me and another passenger to squeeze in the already overloaded vehicle. All’s well that ends well!
this is when distance running could come in super handy....
ReplyDeleteIt's good to see your recent update pictures on Facebook, but realize those were snapped prior to your adventuresome trip back to Pajule. Hope your current trip to Patango goes smoothly in both directions! Love you!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI think of you often but moreso when myself or someone else around me starts up with a dramatic meltdown about something rather small... "first world problems", if you will. Thanks for taking one (er, way more than one) for the team, Erin! You are a trooper :) and I appreciate you helping me to gain a bit of perspective through your stories. Keep em coming!
ReplyDelete