The purpose of this blog is to stay connected with my friends and family while I transition from Delaware to Maryland to Uganda and beyond. I'd like to use this forum to share my experiences and record my adventures while serving as an Economic Development Volunteer in the Peace Corps.

Friday, August 24, 2012

Water & Sanitation

I had my very first visitors to Pajule! Griffin and her co-worker John, a wat/san specialist, stopped by on the way home from Peace Camp to give a training at the vocational center in Lapul sub-county. The org that I'm working with for my secondary project is building eco-san toilets for the women's group. John gave a talk about how to maintain them and how to properly use the 'waste products' as fertilizer.

I also showed them all the sights of Pajule- the market, the piggery, my office, the church, etc. We also had  delicious fried chicken and chips for dinner. Hopefully I can get them to come back to visit again sometime!
.
John talking to the ladies

Florence and her kiddos

Building the toilets

Eco San under construction

Griffin and a worker

Funny pic of construction staff

Typical hut- this one is just behind the vocational center

The women learning about how the toilets will work

Sorghum field

Mr. Odong, Florence's husband and the only man working at the vocational  center

The group with John and Griffin

No comments:

Post a Comment