The purpose of this blog is to stay connected with my friends and family while I transition from Delaware to Maryland to Uganda and beyond. I'd like to use this forum to share my experiences and record my adventures while serving as an Economic Development Volunteer in the Peace Corps.

Friday, September 28, 2012

OPEGO!

Look. How. Adorable.







This one oinks with happiness when you rub her head

This gem is Sparkles. She has one blue eye and one brown eye.
This one grunts back when you talk to her.
Two pigs (opego) gave birth this week. One had 3 piglets, and the other 7. And they are SO CUTE!!!

I'm very seriously considering taking one of the babies home once it's been weened, to keep in my compound. These stupid pigs are really growing on me...they really are lovey animals. The boy boars are a bit terrifying, but the ladies are nice and have distinct personalities.

PTU plans to sell some of the babies once they're old enough, but keep a few of the lady pigs for breeding. I couldn't be happier that one of our projects is finally paying off, and that we'll soon be able to generate some funds on our own.

3 comments:

  1. Great news! All that preliminary work is finally paying off. Sounds like another reason to celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adorable! That's a lot of piggies! Hope they're still hold-able when I visit :) Fun stuff. Congrats.

    ReplyDelete