The purpose of this blog is to stay connected with my friends and family while I transition from Delaware to Maryland to Uganda and beyond. I'd like to use this forum to share my experiences and record my adventures while serving as an Economic Development Volunteer in the Peace Corps.

Friday, February 8, 2013

I Smell a Rat

What in this picture does not belong?


Yep, those are baby rats. In my toiletry drawer. This is what happens when I leave for a week and a half... someone else moves in. In this case, a whole family. 

I'm sorry to have displaced them, but I'm not sorry that they'll have to take their feces elsewhere. The mama rat took a pair of my undies from another drawer and carried it to my soap drawer for her nesting place. I'm glad she was comfortable and surrounding by good smelling things when she brought her children into the world. I'm not glad that I had to throw away a perfectly suitable pair of underwear in a place where non-stretched out undies are precious commodities.




My friend Emmanuel helped me remove the little hairless future monsters. He's also the one that helped me shove stainless steel into the holes in my ceiling where the bats were coming in. 

They're almost cute, aren't they? Almost. I think it may be time to get a cat.

1 comment: