The purpose of this blog is to stay connected with my friends and family while I transition from Delaware to Maryland to Uganda and beyond. I'd like to use this forum to share my experiences and record my adventures while serving as an Economic Development Volunteer in the Peace Corps.

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

From PCT to PCV

As aforementioned, this week the trainees swore in as Peace Corps Volunteers. We’ve now joined the club of approx. 1,080 other volunteers who have served in Uganda since PC’s inception 50 years ago.

Speeches were made by the Charge d'Affaires, our Country Director, the Minister of Gender, Labor, and Social Development, the Minister of Health, and a few fellow volunteers. We took our oath and voila!, after over 10 long weeks in Wakiso, we're real volunteers.  An original song was even composed and performed by one of the Acholi language instructors. The ceremony was inspiring and made me even more excited to get to work. It also reinforced how awesome my classmates are... as if I didn't already know. We’re a unique bunch of crazies and I’m really gonna miss ‘em as they depart to do their good works all over the great country of Uganda. As one savvy new PVC stated, it's time to get weird.'

Aditi and me as mere PCTs

Economic Development and Community Health Program Managers
One of the awesome Acholi teachers performing his song
Rebecca and I as proud PCVs.


Who knew PCVs could be so pretty inside and out :)
My future BFF in Pajule, Fr. Anthony


Brady and me

The Acholi language group. The North will never be the same...
Denis and Moses, my other Acholi teachers


Neighbors in the North

The whole gang

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures and narrative! Keep them coming (& more frequent) as we're all starved for information about your daily experiences!
    And congratulations about your comptetense in Acholi language skills!

    ReplyDelete