- Passed my language proficiency test in Acholi
- Broke my first bone
- Swore in as a Peace Corps Volunteer
- Took my first flight to South Africa
- Had my first (and hopefully last) surgery
The next morning, and a week after the fall, we went back to the clinic for follow-up x-rays and got a much clearer picture of what was going on. The bone had an articular? fracture (meaning it was on the joint) and the bone had dislocated out of alignment and rotated a bit. Bummer, or ‘baambi’ as they say in Luganda.
We then rushed to the closest reputable orthopedic surgeon for a specialist’s opinion, and were told that surgery was necessary and that time was of the essence. Because it had already been a week from the time of injury, the drs were concerned that the scarring related to the healing process could negatively impact the movement of the joint and may complicate the surgery. Surgery I thought, eek! Back to the PC office we went, I repacked yet another bag, showered, and slept a few hours at the nurse’s house. I was picked up at 3 am for an early flight to South Africa. Upon arrival, I was picked up at the (beautiful) airport in Johannesburg and driven straight to the hospital in Pretoria (which felt like another universe). I got a CT scan, was admitted, and prepped for surgery within 2 hours of arriving. From what I understand, all went well and I now have 2 serious screws securing the rogue bone back in place. The hospital and staff were great and I’m not in too much pain. It was a 2-hour surgery and I woke super happy for it to be over. I was more nervous about being put under anesthesia than the surgery itself. The plan now is to recover in the guest house in Pretoria, go to physical therapy, and see the doctor. As an aside, I hear the Dr. who did my surgery also fixes the bones of the professional South African rugby team. He’s got to be good. I’m hoping that the dr’s appts go well and I’m able to recover quickly so I can get to Pajule and start working as soon as possible. I just have to prove that I have enough mobility and strength to function as I could before (i.e. carry/pour a jerrycan of water, etc) within 45 days. I think I can bounce back within the PC’s time constraints despite what the drs are preparing me for. We'll cross that bridge later. And this is a wonderful place to recover. Beautiful purple-blossomed trees and great weather. And the food is fantastic too. There are other PCVs staying here in addition to the other guests, so I don't think I'll be too bored/lonely. Although truthfully I'd rather be in Pajule...I think somewhere along the way I must have caught some of the PC weirdness already. Maybe it was the swearing in...
Anyway, apologies for the ridiculous length of this post, but I have to give a huge shout-out to the Peace Corps medical staff both here and in Uganda. The nurse in Uganda has taken great care of me from the get-go, and they’ve taken all measures to ensure that I’m properly treated and comfortable. She is a great lady and has been genuinely interested in my physical and mental well-being. The PC admin staff was great to make all of the travel arrangements and logistics plans on short notice. The PCMO met me at the hospital and stayed with me until my surgery. I think he joined the orthopedic surgeon, who is also great (as previously stated), in the OR and came by the next day to check on me. It’s nice to know that the PC staff is so fantastic, especially since I’m not familiar with South Africa or surgery. They’ve really shown their strength as an organization when it matters.
Just another crazy African adventure under my belt! I hope the next time I find myself in SA, it’s for vacation…and I’m gonna work on not being such a klutz.
I'll try to post a pic of the x-ray with the screws. It's pretty rad.
| Oops |
| The x-ray that made the difference |
| South Africa here I come |
| Welcome to paradise |
| Post surgery. My new (temporary) bionic arm brace. Jealous? |
OUCH!!!!! And a great summary of your most recent adventure. In the last picture, I don't think anyone would be jealous of your bionic arm brace, but you might have some inquiries about those pajama(?) pants you're wearing.
ReplyDeleteAnother topic - as a concerned parent, the Peace Corps has been treated rather badly by the TV media within the last year, but I've got to say that both the PC Administrative Team & their Medical Team have been exemploray in the quality of service & care they've delivered to Erin thus far. I'm tremendously appreciative of what they've done for her and I wish this were further known.
Oh Er!! My sweet angel, i'm so sorry! I wish I was there to help you through your physical therapy!! I'm sure they will take great care of you but would still be awesome to fly over with one of the therapists I work with!! And man, you and I are so clumsy - are we sure we were both graceful ballerinas?? Your pictures and stories are amazing and i'm so happy that you are happy! Lucky girl, soak it all in! :) You are missed! P.S. Stocking up on seeds, expect package soon! xoxoxoxoxo
ReplyDeleteOh Erin - so sorry to hear about the accident. On the upside your bionic arm is AWESOME! I love the pics of your new family, we miss you! Prayers coming your way for speedy recovery.
ReplyDelete