The purpose of this blog is to stay connected with my friends and family while I transition from Delaware to Maryland to Uganda and beyond. I'd like to use this forum to share my experiences and record my adventures while serving as an Economic Development Volunteer in the Peace Corps.

Saturday, October 22, 2011

Pretoria, South Africa


I landed in South Africa a week ago today. Granted, I was in the hospital for the first 3 days and didn't get to see much, but from what I have seen, Pretoria is beautiful!

Since I'm completely purposeless for the time being, I've decided to take advantage of this time to relax, catch up on the news, use the internet, and enjoy all the pleasures of the developed world. I've had McDonald's, gone to a movie, enjoyed milkshakes, wine and cheese (but not in that order or back-to-back), cold drinks and hot water. It's paradise. Today I went to the Pretoria Zoo and visited the Union buildings.

For now, I'm content reading gossip mags and my kindle, watching tv from my mosquito-net-less bed while drinking cold water directly from the tap in my bedroom (did I mention this is paradise?)... But I know it's just a matter of time before I'm begging to go back to the simple life in Pajule. Hopefully I can fully enjoy this relaxing time and make it back to Northern Uganda quickly.

Here are a few pics to show you what I've seen of Pretoria so far...

My new street

The Jacaranda trees are blooming!
They're amazing and everywhere!
My temporary digs
Lots of cool hidden places in the neighborhood






Roses everywhere

At the zoo



The Union Buildings




1 comment:

  1. Looks beautiful! Looks like a nice place to R & R. But ask someone what it's like in the winter so you don't book a return trip at the wrong time of year! Keep that brace on & do your therapy!

    ReplyDelete