The purpose of this blog is to stay connected with my friends and family while I transition from Delaware to Maryland to Uganda and beyond. I'd like to use this forum to share my experiences and record my adventures while serving as an Economic Development Volunteer in the Peace Corps.

Thursday, October 20, 2011

My Ugandan Family

I had the great pleasure of living with a wonderful family in Wakiso town, Uganda, for the 10 or so weeks of training. They were very welcoming and accommodating and the experience really helped me acclimate to life in Uganda. I was spoiled with running water and a family of great cooks, but I now know how to cook on a charcoal stove, hand wash my clothes effectively (sort of), live without electricity and bathe using a bucket and a cup. All important skills to possess in Uganda.

I lived with my 'sister-mother' Mutyaba, my 'ja-ja' (grandmother) Sarah, and my 17-year old brother Sula. Mutyaba also has a daughter named Rabiba, but she stays in Kampala for boarding school. They were a very small and modern family by Ugandan standards (the average Ugandan woman has 7 children) and were really loving and understanding of my American weirdness.  I'm very appreciative of them for all that they taught me and for welcoming me to the wonderful culture of Uganda. I'll miss them dearly.
Wakiso town (thanks to Becca Kumar for the photo)

Our pet? turkey

Sula on the right, with his BFF

Sula, me, chicken on bike

My beautiful Ja Ja

Sister-mother Mutyaba

Ja Ja and I were good friends even though she spoke about as much English as I spoke Luganda.

Sula trying to be serious.
He's the most disciplined 17-yr-old I know.

The pet/guard dog Domino

In front of the house

1 comment:

  1. Great picts! The outside of the house looks much more upclass than I'd imagined, but are the internal floors all dirt? Your family (JaJa, Mutyaba, & Sula) look welcoming, warm & friendly, but I don't know about Domino the dog? He'd scare me! Was he ok? How did he relate to the chickens & turkey living in your house? And what about the fowl poop in your house - did you ever have a problem with them in your room?

    ReplyDelete