The purpose of this blog is to stay connected with my friends and family while I transition from Delaware to Maryland to Uganda and beyond. I'd like to use this forum to share my experiences and record my adventures while serving as an Economic Development Volunteer in the Peace Corps.

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Monsters

In addition to the matunda monster, there's a new rafter of riff-raff in town.

Don't let its beauty fool you...
The matunda (= passion fruit) monster has a slow, methodical and tireless plot of entangling me in its vine and holding me hostage in my own house. I think I can actually watch it growing, with it's spindly spiraled fingers reaching for me in slow motion. It tries to trap me every time I walk to my outdoor shower and had sneaked a tendril inside the house and was heading for the bed when I returned from vacation. I recently gave it a haircut to show it who's boss, but it's coming back with a vengeance.
It's a creeper...
Ok, back to the new gang on the block. One of my neighbors must have been good last year, because Santa decided to bless him with a rafter of turkeys. Loud turkeys.

I'd taken down the curtain that usually covers my door to be washed, and my doors were open to let some air blow in. I felt something staring at me and looked up from my book to find an ugly large male turkey peeping in. He and his gang of ladies had taken to relaxing on my porch and found it rather rude that I'd want them to vacate the premises. After chasing them off the porch, I think the big guy felt embarrassed about being shooed in front of his lady friends and decided to retaliate. Let me tell you, turkeys are terrifying. And they're extra-terrifying when they're coming at you full speed with their gobblers wiggling and creepy droopy noses dangling, gobbling at the top of their big turkey lungs. He chased me inside where I promptly shut the doors and caught my breath. Once I got enough courage to return, I came armed with my broom and successfully chased them outside of the gate.







The perpetrator with his ladies
Enemy #1
Between the matunda, the turkey gang and the army of mosquitoes that have taken up residence, even staying at home turns into a misadventure. If I'm still here come November, Pajule may be down one loud male turkey.

On a lighter note, I've watched the sun set every day this week and it never disappoints.

Tonight's sunset from the front yard


No comments:

Post a Comment