The purpose of this blog is to stay connected with my friends and family while I transition from Delaware to Maryland to Uganda and beyond. I'd like to use this forum to share my experiences and record my adventures while serving as an Economic Development Volunteer in the Peace Corps.

Monday, January 14, 2013

Revenge of the Spiders

It's obvious that I've upset the balance in the one-room ecosystem I call my house. By killing off the spiders, I've encouraged the mosquito population to bloom, thus inviting mosquito predators into my home... namely bats. Yep, I woke up last night around 3 am to the fluttering of wings in my room. After tucking my mosquito net tightly around my mattress, the bat continuously bobbed and weaved all over the place, once colliding with my bed net. I slept in the fetal position in the middle of the bed covered with my sheet, my solar light on overhead (still no power at home after over a week) until the sun rose and I was brave enough to leave my safety bubble.
I expected to find the bat in the daylight, and with the help of some Ugandan friends, to eradicate it from my house. No such luck. The bat is no where to be found... I'm hoping that it came up with its own exit strategy, but am doubtful. We'll see what tonight's darkness brings. While looking for the bat, I did find a mouse that had taken up residence in my linen drawer. My house is a zoo.

No comments:

Post a Comment