- Have you ever seen/smelled a rotten egg? I hadn’t, and oh boy was I in for a surprise. It was black yolk rotten. It EXPLODED when I cracked it and it was then that I discovered that rotten eggs live up to their nasty reputation. I almost threw up. How can something so small create such an awful smell? I had to wash my clothes immediately and decontaminate my house. It was terrible. Now I’ve learned to always crack an egg into a cup, not directly into the bowl of ingredients you’re making. I think I’m off eggs for a while.
- You can’t make popcorn with olive oil (well, you can, but it’ll be burnt and chewy).
- Laughing cow cheese seems to be ok without refrigeration (so far, so good at least). Relish, parmesan cheese, ketchup, ranch dressing and salami can make it for a long time too… scary, isn’t it?
- Rice can get moldy overnight.
- Mango skin can make your mouth an itchy mess (see previous post).
The purpose of this blog is to stay connected with my friends and family while I transition from Delaware to Maryland to Uganda and beyond. I'd like to use this forum to share my experiences and record my adventures while serving as an Economic Development Volunteer in the Peace Corps.
Wednesday, May 2, 2012
Cooking Catastrophes/Lessons of the Week
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
what about century eggs? maybe you could bring these to UG.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad the cheese is working, and all the condiments. I hope their long shelf life continues. Maybe we can ship in more laughing cow. Did you try the wine store guy's recommendation for digging a big hole?
I never would have suspected that about popcorn. Do you need veggie oil instead?
ReplyDelete