The purpose of this blog is to stay connected with my friends and family while I transition from Delaware to Maryland to Uganda and beyond. I'd like to use this forum to share my experiences and record my adventures while serving as an Economic Development Volunteer in the Peace Corps.

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Hooked

I'm ashamed to say it... but I'm going through some major retail therapy withdrawal. Whenever I was sad, frustrated, annoyed or bored, a little window shopping (or purchasing) would do the trick. Nothing like a new garment to temporarily fix an emotional dilemma.

I know, I know... I joined PC in part to get away from the over-materialized American culture and get in touch with a more simplistic lifestyle. But... I keep getting 'sale' emails in my inbox full of pretty, summery frocks... and I can't resist looking! Virtual shopping just isn't the same! I need to see the clothes... feel them. I want to smell something expensive! Yes, I realize that this is ridiculous and that I'm whiny. I know that this isn't my proudest post as a PCV. But, sometimes the truth hurts.

I can't wait to wear a new outfit (maybe with heels) to brunch, on a sidewalk patio perhaps, where there'll be a live band playing in the background, and I'll be sipping on cold mimosas and eating steak and eggs, or maybe something with Maryland crab. One day, America... one day.

Until then, I'll keep looking at all the clothes that pass through my inbox and keep deleting until I'm in a place where I actually need something new. I have about 17 more months to shake this retail dependency. Fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment