The purpose of this blog is to stay connected with my friends and family while I transition from Delaware to Maryland to Uganda and beyond. I'd like to use this forum to share my experiences and record my adventures while serving as an Economic Development Volunteer in the Peace Corps.

Friday, May 11, 2012

Uganda Go Bonkers Sometimes


Like this week, when…

…I barfed more than 15 times in a day. In Uganda. Without running water. Or air conditioning.

…It took over 6 hours to travel 100 kilometers. One dead battery, one flat tire, lots of mud, running out of diesel, then a bus hitch and another truck hitch later, I was home safe… and before dark.

…I was enjoying dinner and look up to find a swarm of bugs in the house out of nowhere.  Lots and lots and lots of bugs. Wish I had a picture to give you an idea of how many…

…I'd just finished hand washing and hanging my clothes on the line, when I noticed a huge storm on the horizon. Oh, rainy season.

…I woke up with bug bite welts all over my arms and legs. Raised, red, itchy blotches.

…I superglued my fingers to the tube of superglue while trying to repair a $2 pair of fake ray ban sunglasses.

…I walked a mile in the equatorial sun, at lunchtime, to meet someone who didn't show up.

But it’s all in good fun. Uganda doesn’t hate me; she’s just reminding me that I’d better have a sense of humor and lots of patience.

1 comment:

  1. Nice cathartic vent! Glad to see you still have a sense of humor & can put things in perspective. Remember, "You're not in Walkersville anymore," this is Uganda, and these life issues are why you went there. Your neighbors deal with these things daily (well maybe not the superglue incident?:) Anyway, good to see a new posting from you! Maybe you should open up one of your prized food packages & treat yourself to a slendid meal as retribution to all the frustration you've experienced recently. And share it with friends - that will help - trust me on that. We all love you!

    ReplyDelete